S. Joshua Kahane
Mr. Kahane, is licensed to practice in Tennessee, Mississippi and New York and concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of general business litigation, commercial disputes of all types, and complex litigation. He has significant experience in the area of Landlord-Tenant matters, and represents multi-family property owners and management companies before Courts in Memphis, Tennessee; Jackson, Tennessee; Northern Mississippi; and Jackson, Mississippi. He represents local, regional, and national ownership and management groups with portfolios that include over 450,000 multi-family housing units, 20 million square feet of commercial space, 125,000 units of affordable housing, and 25,000 units of military housing. In addition, Mr. Kahane represents individuals and companies before the General Sessions 14 Environmental Court on code citation, zoning, and commercial signage matters, and before the City of Memphis and administrative departments on land use matters of all types.
In 2011, Mr. Kahane authored Landlord Tenant Law - Guide and Handbook, a reference to the practice of landlord and tenant law in Shelby County, Tennessee. Having sold and distributed the first edition of 250 books in less than 6 months, Landlord Tenant Law - Guide and Handbook, is now in its second printing. From its thorough and easy-to- read description of the eviction process and post-judgment collection strategies, to the text of the updated Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act with interlineated comments, to sample form pleadings and notices, Landlord Tenant Law - Guide and Handbook has become a must-have resource for legal practitioners, property management companies, and multi-family property owners. Mr. Kahane is a well-known lecturer and has presented seminars on landlord and tenant practice across the mid-south for local and national organizations.
In addition, Mr. Kahane has a special emphasis on probate matters including both estate planning and drafting, estate litigation and conservatorships.
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, F.A.C., 2004
- Yeshiva University, Magna Cum Laude, B.A., 2001
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- 2011 "Jefferson Award" Nominee - Commercial Appeal
- 2009 “Top 40 Under 40” – Memphis Business Journal
- 2009 “Community Service Award” - Baron Hirsch Synagogue
- 2009 “National Leadership Award” – Yeshiva University (Presented in Orlando, FL)
- 2008 “Man of the Year” - Margolin Hebrew Academy/ Feinstone Yeshiva of the South
- 2008 “National High School Basketball Coach of the Year Nominee” – JVElite (New York, NY)
- Legal Counsel: Memphis Jewish Community Center Board of Directors (Executive Committee Member)
- President: Margolin Hebrew Academy/Feinstone Yeshiva of the South Board of Trustees
- Board Member: Apartment Association of Greater Memphis
- Director: Jewish Foundation of Memphis
- Executive Committee: Baron Hirsch Synagogue Board of Trustees
- Member: Memphis Jewish Federation Board of Directors
- Founder/Director: Cooper Yeshiva High School National Invitational Basketball Tournament
- Intern: Office of the Public Liaison, The White House: Clinton Administration
- Represents largest fee management entity in the United States with portfolio of more than 1,000 apartment complexes, office, industrial and retail assets valued at more than $17 billion. Portfolio includes 175,000 multifamily housing units, 15 million square feet of commercial space, 60,000 units of affordable housing, and 22,000 units of military housing.
- Negotiated settlement of a 9.2 million dollar litigation claim involving 116 parties spread throughout the United States, Canada, London and Israel.
- Represents multi-family owner/operator with over 15,000 units in 12 states.
- Represents individuals and companies before General Sessions 14 (Environmental Court) on code citation, zoning, and commercial signage matters.
- Represents New York based owner and management entity holding over 3 million square feet of commercial space in Memphis and Jackson, Tennessee, in all aspects of litigation, financing, leasing, and acquisitions. Company’s portfolio under management is over $300,000,000.
- Won complete dismissal of $100,000,000 Lawsuit against national Real Estate Management Company.
- Represents multiple local and regional land owners and management companies of commercial and residential property in Tennessee and Mississippi, holding several thousand properties or residential units, in all facets of litigation relating to Landlord/Tenant disputes, tenant default, real estate development, bankruptcy, contracts and property purchases.
- Negotiated a significant settlement on behalf of a 9 year old girl exposed to lead based paint.
- Represents New York based equity firm holding and 1.1 million square feet of commercial space in Memphis. Firm’s portfolio under management in excess of $500,000,000.
- Represented Daimler Chrysler Corporation in multiple regional lawsuits involving vehicle warranty, contractlitigation and corporate purchase agreements.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Kahane Report- Monthly newsletter on topics of relevance to multi-family owners and managers.
- Sterling Executive Seminars- Full day presentation on Landlord-Tenant Law and Bankruptcy, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Landlord Tenant Law- Guide and Handbook, Published 2012