John I. Houseal, Jr.
John I. Houseal, Jr., concentrates his practice in the areas of litigation, including construction law and health care. A significant portion of his practice involves representing clients regarding the preparation of construction documents and in the litigation of construction related issues, as well as regarding compliance with federal and state laws. In addition, his practice also focuses on ERISA and insurance coverage. Practice includes:
- State and Federal Court Litigation
- Construction Law
- ERISA Litigation and Consultation
- Antitrust Compliance
- Healthcare Compliance
- False Claims and related Litigation
Prior to joining Glankler Brown, PLLC, Mr. Houseal served as Captain, JAG, in the United States Air Force, and graduated from Air University, Judge Advocate Staff Officer School. He served as Assistant Staff Judge Advocate of the 21st Air Base Group, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, Trial Counsel and Claims Officer. Mr. Houseal is a licensed, instrument-rated pilot.
Mr. Houseal is also a Certified Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Mediator specializing in construction and healthcare matters. He is an Approved AAA Arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association in the area of Construction Law.
He is an adjunct professor at the University of Memphis School of Law where he teaches a course on Insurance Law.
- University of Memphis, B.S. degree, 1967
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D. degree, 1970
- United States Air Force Judge Advocate (Captain and Judge Advocate from 1970 through 1974)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- S. District Court, Northern District of Mississippi
- S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
- S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Rule 31 Listed General Civil Mediator, Tennessee Supreme Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Commission
- Approved AAA Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association, Mediation
- The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, 2016 & 2021, Health Care Law
- The Best Lawyers in America (Mediation, Construction Litigation, Health Care Law, Insurance Law)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Mid South SuperLawyers
- Who’s Who in the South and Southwest
- Who’s Who in American Law
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Healthcare Law, American Lawyer/Corporate Counsel magazines
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Tennessee Bar Association (Member, Litigation & Health Law Sections)
- Memphis (former Director) Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Lawyers Journal Club of Memphis (Professional society of selected Litigation attorneys)
- Counsel on Litigation Management
- Past Director, BlueCross & BlueShield of Memphis
Mr. Houseal is a frequent lecturer at continuing education programs in his areas of practice. Mr. Houseal’s past speaking engagements have included topics involving ERISA, health plan operation and construction, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- “An Overview of ERISA from a Litigator’s Standpoint,” Tenn. Bar Journal
- “HMOs and PPOs: What’s the Difference?”- Today’s HEALTHCARE magazine