Larry H. Montgomery
Larry H. Montgomery is a commercial litigator. His focus areas include insurance coverage, insurance broker liability, trust and estate litigation, financial institutions litigation, director and officer liability, products liability, and all manner of business disputes. He also handles significant personal injury cases.
Mr. Montgomery is listed by the Tennessee Supreme Court as a General Civil Mediator.
Mr. Montgomery has litigated in state and federal trial and appellate courts in among other jurisdictions, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
- Georgia Tech, B.S. in Industrial Management, with honors, 1978
- Emory University, J.D., 1981
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Best Lawyers in America
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated
- MidSouth SuperLawyers
- Top Rated Lawyers in Insurance Law, American Lawyer/Corporate Counsel magazines
- Top Rated Lawyers in Banking & Finance Law, American Lawyer/Corporate Counsel magazines
- Tennessee Bar Association
- No Suit Filed – Successfully guided apartment complex owner through hurricane loss claim against several Lloyd’s syndicates resulting in full coverage and yielding a $10.5 million loss payment.
- Federal Court – Obtained $10 million products liability insurance coverage settlement for implantable medical device manufacturer defending nationwide litigation over allegedly defective devices.
- No suit filed – Worked with County Medical Examiner to avoid potential application of life insurance suicide exclusion resulting in payment of $3 million death benefit.
- State Court – After a week of plaintiff’s proof in a multimillion dollar merchant banking trial, moved for and obtained involuntary dismissal of claim against bank client based on plaintiff’s failure to prove damages.
- Federal Court – In a case where the highest pretrial offer from the defendant had been $7,000, obtained a $3 million jury verdict in a single plaintiff employment retaliation suit against a Fortune 100 food manufacturer.
- State Court – Obtained summary judgment for a savings and loan association in putative class action alleging improper assessment of insufficient funds fees.
- No Suit Filed – Obtained $2 million crime coverage payment for client whose employee was ordering and stealing cash deliveries from client’s bank.
- Federal Court – Obtained an order in favor of bank client compelling individual arbitration in a putative class action alleging improper assessment of insufficient funds fees.
- State Court – Obtained summary judgment for wealthy Memphis family members whose relatives had sued them for $70 million for allegedly misadministering a family trust. Deposed plaintiffs’ expert forensic accountant and used his testimony to prove that plaintiffs had not been damaged.
- State Court – By enforcing indemnification agreements and insurance policies, achieved multimillion dollar settlement of catastrophic injury suit against Fortune 100 telecommunications company client with the client having to contribute nothing to the settlement.
- Federal Court – Obtained $4.9 million in primary and excess insurance coverage for manufacturing client who was facing product defect claims.
- State Court and Federal Court – Defended international insurance broker in a bank’s $20 million suit alleging failure to give primary and excess insurers notice of a claim. After discovery revealed that fault for the bank’s notice problem could be attributed to its outside counsel, suit was settled for pennies on the dollar.
- State Court – Defended local recycling company employee against multimillion dollar non-compete and trade secret claims. Obtained summary judgment based on plaintiff’s failure to prove damages.
- No Suit Filed – Defended several former directors and officers of a failed bank against a regulator’s claims that they were responsible for $8.2 million in loan losses. After arguing that the regulator had missed the statute of limitations, regulator accepted nominal settlement from our clients’ insurer and our clients paid nothing.
- State Court – Obtained $1.1 million settlement for dog attack victim.
- No Suit Filed – Obtained full cyber fraud coverage in the amount of $220,000 for client who was a victim of wire transfer fraud.
In The News
- Featured in Memphis Daily News, September 5, 2013, “Montgomery Honored as Top Insurance Lawyer,”