Paul R. Lawler
Paul R. Lawler practices in the areas of business law, civil litigation, tax, wills, probate, estate planning, and corporate law. Paul is also a Certified Public Accountant (inactive).
Paul’s background in tax and accounting was followed by litigation immersion leading to a renaissance, “cross-over” practice. Cases have included defense of title to property, riparian rights, condemnation/eminent domain proceedings, personal injury (motor vehicle and slip & fall accidents), estate litigation, federal tax court litigation, state sales tax litigation, civil rights actions, shareholder derivative suits, and complex business litigation. Business experience encompasses the purchase or sale of private companies and representing clients involved in construction, manufacturing, packaging, New Markets Tax Credits, and drainage industries as independent counsel. As a CPA (inactive), Paul routinely interacts with clients’ CEOs, CFOs, independent CPAs, and can provide efficient, responsive, support to in-house legal counsel. Areas of concentration include wills, probate, tax, estate planning, and family business succession strategies as well as the resolution of civil tax controversies involving innocent spouse claims, trust fund liability, and estate tax audits.
Paul has been involved for over forty years with the Memphis Civitan Club, a civic organization dedicated to helping children with challenges. He is a member of various professional organizations including the Memphis Bar Association, Tennessee Society of CPAs, and American Institute of CPAs. He enjoys golf but he needs more practice.
- University of Tennessee, B.S. degree in accounting, with honors, 1978
- Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law at the University of Memphis, J.D. degree, 1984
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- The Best Lawyers in America
- 2018 Attorney for Justice
- Five Star Professional, Wealth Managers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- Memphis Civitan Club, President and Director
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Memphis Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants